Please note: Apple Configurator workflows are only covered in this article for informational purposes only. We do not support this method of assigning devices to Apple Business Manager/Apple Business Manager using Configurator and strongly recommend contacting your reseller so that they can assign them directly. Support requests for Apple Configurator will be declined by our Service Desk.
This document describes the steps to add an existing iOS device to your Apple Business Manager (ABM) or Apple School Manager (ASM) portal, and datajar.mobi instance.
The following is a list of requirements to add an iOS device to ABM/ASM.
- The iOS device must not already be in an existing ABM/ASM portal.
- The iOS device must be running iOS 11+.
- The iOS device will need to be wiped to complete this process.
- Apple Configurator 2.5+.
- The credentials for your ABM/ASM account.
- The URL for your datajar.mobi instance.
Setting up Apple Configurator
This example creates a blue print to enable you to batch process a number of iOS devices.
This also assumes this is a default setup of Apple Configurator with no details yet entered.
Adding your ABM/ASM and Organisation Details
- Launch Apple Configurator and select 'Preferences' from the Apple Configurator 2 menu. You will be presented with the preference pane.
- Select the Organisations tab.
- Click the + button to add a new organisation.
- Click the Next button on the first screen.
- The next screen will ask you for the Apple ID for your ABM/ASM account. Enter these and click Next. You will most likely be prompted for the two factor authentication.
The last screen will prompt you to select either an existing supervision identity or generate a new one. Select the one that is applicable.
Adding your datajar.mobi instance to Apple Configurator
Next we will add your datajar.mobi instance to Apple Configurator, so we can enrol the device at the same time as adding it to ABM/ASM. Then for future enrolments , ABM/ASM can be used.
- While still in the Apple Configurator preferences, select the Servers tab.
- Click the + button to add your datajar.mobi instance.
- Click the Next button on the first screen.
- The next screen will ask you for the address of your datajar.mobi instance. If you're unsure as to what this address might be, please get in touch.
Make sure you add
configureautoenroll to the end of the url.
- Then click the Next button.
Creating the blueprint for Apple Configurator
- Add a new blueprint to Apple Configurator.
- Add a Wi-Fi configuration profile to the blue print for the network you are using or you can use the built in Internet Sharing to iPad USB on the host Mac.
- Next we will add the prepare stage to the blue print; Click the "Prepare" button in the toolbar.
- For the first screen select manual configuration.
- Make sure you select "Add to Device Enrolment Program" . Click Next.
- Select your MDM server. Click Next.
- Select your organisation. Click Next.
- The next screen ask you to configure which steps you want to show at setup. Click Next.
- Then it will ask which Wi-Fi profile you want to use. If you are using the built in Internet Sharing in System preferences on the host Mac, you can skip this step. Click Next.
- Add the credentials which you wish to use to enrol the device into your datajar.mobi instance.
Once finished you can close the blueprint.
Applying the Blueprint
Verifying that the device is now in ABM/ASM
- Login to https://deploy.apple.com
- Under the "View Assignment History" you should see a new entry that has a label "Devices added by Apple".
You can select this entry and download a csv file with the serial number of the device you added.
If you select "Manage Servers" as well as seeing an entry for your MDM server you will see an entry for "Devices added by Apple".
Assigning devices to your datajar.mobi instance
- Select "View Assignment History".
- Search for the device you added by serial number.
- You can then re-assign it to your datajar.mobi instance.
Verifying that your datajar.mobi instance can now see the device
If you're a datajar.mobi MSP customer, please get in touch so we can check that the devcies have been added to your datajar.mobi instance.
If you're a datajar.mobi hosting-only customer, please perform the below:
- Log into your datajar.mobi instance.
- Go to Settings > Automated Device Enrollment Account.
- Perform a refresh if required.
- The device should be listed and you can then assign it to a prestage enrolment.