This document outlines the supportability of Apple devices in relation to our products and services.
- All devices must be fully erased prior to enrolment into our platform (excluding Auto-Update for Jamf customers)
- All remote support and remote project delivery is via TeamViewer. For more details, see Remote Support and Remote Project Delivery Requirements
- All devices must be running supported software configurations as outlined in our knowledge base article Supported and unsupported third-party software
Operating System (OS) requirements
Compatibility with Apple operating system releases is generally based on an 'N-2' support policy. This means that we will support the current major version (‘N’) and the two previous major versions (‘-2’) within either the Recommended or Minimum Supported compatibility levels.
When a new Apple OS version is made available and added to Recommended, the oldest release will be moved from the Minimum Supported to Untested level.
|macOS 11.x and earlier
|iOS 14.x and earlier
|tvOS 14.x and earlier
What does Minimum Support mean?
We strive to support our customers, however devices not capable of running a recommended Operating System may stop functioning due to an incompatibility with modern protocols and management frameworks. We reserve the right to decline support on software and/or products which are deemed unsupported by the vendor.
In line with this, we maintain a list of supported and unsupported third-party software.
Please note: This is not an exhaustive list and additional titles may be added at any time if we deem them unsupportable.
For clarity, we are unable to ensure the security and integrity of devices if they are classified as Minimum Support. Devices using our services should be running a Recommended Operating System to ensure they are secure and continue to function correctly.
What is our commitment to new Operating Systems?
We will work on a best endeavours basis to provide day zero support for new Apple OS releases and guarantee support on core features of within 30-days of a new Apple OS version release. We will work with vendors where possible to support a new Apple OS versions, but support will be at the sole discretion of the vendor and outside of our control.
Core features are defined as:
- Enrolment of a device
- Management of a device through the Apple native technologies (MDM etc.)
- Deployment of support software titles
- Functionality of our own software (Simplified Management, dataJAR Defend, Warden etc.)
Non-Core features are defined as:
- 3rd party software support
- 3rd party software deployment support
We suggest a 30-day Operating System deferral be implemented on production devices to ensure compatibility with third-party software can be tested within your environment. Please contact our support team if you would like this activated.
Mac specific requirements
- Must be enrolled via Automated Device Enrolment (Apple School Manager or Apple Business Manager) wherever possible.
- An internet connection of 50Mbps or higher is required.
- A recommended operating system.
iPhone/iPad specific requirements
- Must be enrolled via Automated Device Enrolment (Apple School Manager or Apple Business Manager). Devices with a recommended operating system not enrolled within Automated Device Enrolment Program (ADE) can be added via Apple Configurator (Adding iOS devices to ADE with Apple Configurator).
- An internet connection of 25Mbps or higher required.
- If enrolling / reenrolling with an iCloud backup restore, the backup will need to be restored to a different device than the one it was taken from. This is an Apple technical limitation.
AppleTV specific requirements
- Must be enrolled via the Automated Device Enrolment Program (Apple School Manager or Apple Business Manager).
- Devices with a recommended operating system not enrolled within Automated Device Enrolment Program (ADE) can be added via Apple Configurator (Adding iOS devices to ADE with Apple Configurator).
- The minimum supported AppleTV models are 4th generation.
Need further support?
If you still require assistance with us or have any further questions, please raise a ticket with our support team.
Alternatively, please see our frequently updated knowledge base articles for reference.