This document details the process for enrolling macOS devices into your datajar.mobi instance via Automatic Device Enrolment (ADE). This will be via one of the Apple Business Manager (ABM) or Apple School Manager (ASM) portals.
If you require documentation for enrolling macOS devices via User Initiated Enrolment please see this KB - Enrolling macOS devices into datajar.mobi via User Initiated Enrolment (UIE)
Please Note: This document has been created as a generic guide for the majority of our customers. Please consult any instructions from the dataJAR team regarding your specific setup.
Prior to enrolment, there are some initial one-off steps. Once these have been performed for a specific device, they do not need to be performed again unless you are changing the device's usage (e.g. moving it from 1:1 to a shared device, or from a shared device to 1:1).
1) Log into Apple Business Manager or Apple School Manager
2) Use the "Device Assignments" section and the device's serial number to assign to the device/s to the datajar.mobi MDM server. It is possible to assign multiple devices at the same time, separated by a comma or a new line.
3) Log a ticket with dataJAR Support with the serial number/s of these devices and if these should be 1:1 devices, or shared devices. Tickets can be logged via the portal (https://support.datajar.co.uk/hc/en-us/requests/new), via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or via our Management App (https://support.datajar.co.uk/hc/en-us/articles/360003535773)
4) dataJAR support will assign these in your datajar.mobi instance. This will take 10-15 minutes to sync back to Apple once complete.
5) The device should now be ready to be wiped and enrolled into datajar.mobi
The above process should only be required once per device. Once complete, you should be able to follow the below steps.
1) Connect the device to power and a network connection. A wired connection is strongly suggested but wireless is also possible, if slower. You will also benefit by using a network that has an Apple Caching server and / or a dataJAR Accelerator Appliance. If you are interested in either of these, feel free to reach out to the dataJAR Support team.
2) Boot the device to the recovery partition, erase the internal hard drive and reinstall a fresh OS. This is covered under the KB article Preparing your devices for datajar.mobi and the Apple KB How to erase a disk for Mac
Please Note: If you have an Apple Silicon Mac, please follow this Apple KB article on the correct process - How to erase a Mac with Apple silicon
3) Once the OS is installed, ensure the device is still on a network connection and proceed through the Apple Setup Assistant.
4) When prompted to enrol in the datajar.mobi MDM system, accept and continue.
5) If deploying a 1:1 device, you will be prompted to create a new user account. Please ensure to create a user account for the end user, and not a temporary admin account or a local admin / service account. Failure to do so can result in issues with full disk encryption which will likely require a full redeployment. For more details see the KB article Secure Token Requirements and Considerations.
6) After reaching the login window (for shared devices) or the Desktop (for 1:1 devices) leave the device. Within a few minutes the dataJAR Progress Screen should appear, prompting you for a device name (optional depending on implementation requirements) and the device role (required).
7) Pick a device role and optionally provide a device name and click the continue button.
8) The device will now deploy the required software. Once complete, the device will automatically restart.
9) The device should now be ready for use.
If you require further assistance or support, please contact our support team.